Here to fulfill all your Nonny needs!

Happy Birthday, Willy Wonka!

Instructions for Commenting

YOU CAN COMMENT EVEN WITHOUT REGISTERING!

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Click the "Post a Comment" link at the bottom of the blog post and then type your comment in the "Leave your comment" textbox.
3) If you have a Google or Blogger account, then click the "Google/Blogger" button in the "Choose and identity" section.
4) Otherwise, click the "Name/URL" button, and then put in your fake name in the "Name" textbox. You can leave the URL blank.
5) Or, you can chose Anonymous. In that case, put your fake name in your comment.
3) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere. Repeat commentors will be entered on Nonny's Hall of Fame!
4) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's Spring!
by Cl. Panic, paper planter

Some time ago I was invited to attend a wedding, but was unable to do so because it occurred during the dark days. Normally I hate weddings. But let me tell you, I really wanted to go to this one. Because it would be the wedding to end all weddings. Planned over a week in the Virgin Islands, I knew that my former roommate (the bride) would not be outdone. She used to party in Hollywood and knew about all of the fancy-pants denim brands that only women, fashionable gay men, and straight men that live in Hollywood know about.

Anyway. The invitation came in a box. A box! The fact that this wedding would occur on a white sandy beach in paradise was underscored by the seashells included inside the box, and pentagonal cards listing the activities (golfing, snorkeling, etc.). Those cards, in turn, were wrapped in a thick paper that claimed to be impregnated* with seeds and encouraged the recipient to plant it.

I decided to test those claims. The paper had been sitting on my desk for nearly a year. But the other afternoon I cleaned out an old pot, tossed in some soil, added the card and gave it a liberal sprinkling. That was on May 3d.

Yesterday there was noticeable progress. The paper actually sprouted! Look at this photo from May 10:
And by this morning (May 11) there were three more shoots making their way toward the sunlight.
I can't wait to see how these turn out. I'm guessing they'll be wildflowers, but since they were sent from San Diego, you never know what may sprout!

* The bride, however, was not impregnated at the time that the invitations were sent.

3 comments:

Nonny Nu said...

I hope your wild flowers end up better than mine did, Cl. Panic. (OMG, it's been so long since I last posted, I had difficulty putting in that link...)

Man from U.N.C.L.E. said...

Weddings are fun. I'm always interested in the little trinkets/favors that the happy couple choose to bestow upon their guests. I mean, if I'm spending $300 on a Vitamix 500 Variable Speed Blender for them, then I ought to get something other than a book of matches with

"Steve & Sally
October 14, 2006"

embossed on it, shouldn't I?

Anonymous said...

Steve and Sally might argue that they spent $20k on their festivities, $40 of which went to your "vegetarian" plate of overdone squashes served atop a soggy portabello mushroom.