Here to fulfill all your Nonny needs!

Happy Birthday, Willy Wonka!

Instructions for Commenting

YOU CAN COMMENT EVEN WITHOUT REGISTERING!

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Click the "Post a Comment" link at the bottom of the blog post and then type your comment in the "Leave your comment" textbox.
3) If you have a Google or Blogger account, then click the "Google/Blogger" button in the "Choose and identity" section.
4) Otherwise, click the "Name/URL" button, and then put in your fake name in the "Name" textbox. You can leave the URL blank.
5) Or, you can chose Anonymous. In that case, put your fake name in your comment.
3) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere. Repeat commentors will be entered on Nonny's Hall of Fame!
4) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It's true, folks.

What the Sush said about talk amongst the Nus about getting a new kitty...it's true. We did talk about it this weekend. I am so ashamed. It's just that, as I walk throughout the house, I just see all the places where Sushi Cat used to be. I never really understood how much a part of my life this little kitty is. Everything reminds me of her.

Bright and early each morning, she meowed me awake and I'd go downstairs to feed her breakfast. Then, she'd visit one of several watering holes, either downstairs, upstairs, in Mr. Nonny Nu's shower, or (if I was showering at the time), she'd jump in with me. She was my shower gargoyle and would sit on the rug outside my shower and stand guard. Then, I'd head downstairs to go to work and she'd say goodbye at the door, or she'd sit in a window and wave to me.

Throughout the day (on weekends, I'd get to see her do this, which was such a treat), she'd lay in the sun either on the floor upstairs or downstairs, or look out of the upstairs window. She loved windows and chairs, and nooks and crannies. Sometimes, I'd jump in there with her. We'd stare at each other for hours. I'd pet her and I'd pull on her ears. She also loved to scratch on her three scratch pads. And, everytime Sushi went outside, she would make it a point to walk behind these shrubs (because she knew that those were the ones I'd have most trouble getting her out of).

But, Sushi's favorite, by far, were cushioned areas, like:
chairs in the dining room
her couch with her very own bedspread
our bed (it belonged to the three of us)
throw blankets
laundry baskets

We even caught her sitting in the freshly dried laundry in the drier!

Then, after work, when I came up the driveway, I'd look up to the second floor window or to the stairwell to see Sushi waiting there for me.

Of course, she's nowhere to be found these days, even though I see her tracks everywhere. After we put her to sleep, I saved some of her fur, a toe nail, and a whisker. I put them in a box, and now that box sits on my bedside table (it's black and grey, just like Sushi).

Sushi was such a big part of my life. I never really understood how big until now. On the one hand, I think that having another cat in the house will do us good. But, on the other, I feel like I'm betraying Sushi because it's so soon. I don't think she'd approve.

Is it too soon?

9 comments:

Sushi Cat said...

Is it too soon?
Of course it's too soon. I talked this over with Mr. Jones. It is absolutely unthinkable that anycat could care for you two the way I do. This is going to be nothing but heartache for you. I can see it now. You bring the new cat home, and he doesn't speak English and can't tell time. What good is he?

sweetsieweatsie said...

My opinion is that it is never too soon. No kitty will take Sushi's place, but at least her scent will still be in the house and the new kitty can sort of, well, get to know Sushi a little bit. You both obviously have so much love in your hearts. You need a way to express that and a new loved one could never hurt. Yes, the new kitty might not do the same things that Sushi does, but take the time to get a charismatic kitty that will make you both laugh and enjoy life, sort of like Sushi did. It will be a whole new different experience, but that's okay. Life is short, and I am 100 percent sure Sushi would approve (even though she blogs and comments otherwise, hahaha). In the end, she just wants you to be happy. You know? I say go for it!

Nonny Nu said...

sweetsieweatsie, Sushi is somewhat of a chatterbox, isn't she? We could never shut her up.

Man from U.N.C.L.E. said...

Your house has to seem really empty now without Sushi there (even with a Big Ole Bear remaining). I know the urge is to rush to fill that vacant space that Sushi left. But is it really, deep down, what you want? In the days ahead, you'll have time to sort that all out. I don't think you would be disloyal to Sushi to adopt another Kitty, but I wonder if you'd feel guilty?

Nonny Nu said...

But is it really, deep down, what you want? In the days ahead, you'll have time to sort that all out. I don't think you would be disloyal to Sushi to adopt another Kitty, but I wonder if you'd feel guilty?
I would definitely feel guilty. I feel guilty just thinking about it. I know that I want to adopt another kitty. I never thought I was cat person until I met Sush. Now, as I look through the cat photos on the Humane Society page, it seems like there are a lot of kitties out that who need a home. I think that Sushi will eventually forgive me, but I just feel like not enough time has passed (it hasn't even been a week). I mean, I feel like one of those couples who have been together for a long time, and then one dies, and the other just ups and gets another spouse within the month. I just feel like if I adopt another kitty so soon, it's evidence that I didn't really care about Sushi, but I know that I do and I still miss her so much.

Anonymous said...

Do what's in your heart, Nonny. I don't think Sushi would take offense to you adopting a kitty from the local shelter. You know my sis in law works for an animal shelter and believe me, there are WAY more kitties in need of good homes than doggies and more times than not, those kitties never get placed. I think it might do your heart some good to know you rescued a cat from a dismal existence and at the same time, bring a little bit of joy back into your life. You aren't replacing Sushi- Just opening your heart to the idea of being able to give that kind of love again.

Think about it and when you feel the time is right, I DEF think you are doing the right thing in adopting from a shelter.

Nonny Nu said...

Thanks, ogunsgirl. I am thinking about it. Last night, I picked up Kash from a lady in a neighboring city. He was a little scared at first and hid under the couch for quite a while. But, he came out and played (finally). When bedtime came, we put him to bed downstairs. Even though we didn't really show him the upstairs, he made his way up there and meowed his head off at the top of the stairs until I came and brought him to bed with us. It was nice and weird having him there where Sushi used to be. He is *such* a cutie pie. I think I just have to get used to having a new kitty around without feeling guilty. I think that Sushi would disapprove but would understand in the end. In the meantime, I don't *officially* have a new cat, since Kash is Mr. Nonny Nu's.

Anonymous said...

" You aren't replacing Sushi- Just opening your heart to the idea of being able to give that kind of love again."

yep. that's right.

~ ~ ~

Anonymous said...

"No kitty will take Sushi's place, but at least her scent will still be in the house and the new kitty can sort of, well, get to know Sushi a little bit."

that's exactly what's happened.

~ ~ ~