Here to fulfill all your Nonny needs!

Happy Birthday, Willy Wonka!

Instructions for Commenting

YOU CAN COMMENT EVEN WITHOUT REGISTERING!

1) Make up a name--don't use your real name.
2) Click the "Post a Comment" link at the bottom of the blog post and then type your comment in the "Leave your comment" textbox.
3) If you have a Google or Blogger account, then click the "Google/Blogger" button in the "Choose and identity" section.
4) Otherwise, click the "Name/URL" button, and then put in your fake name in the "Name" textbox. You can leave the URL blank.
5) Or, you can chose Anonymous. In that case, put your fake name in your comment.
3) Make sure to put your fake name in your comment somewhere. Repeat commentors will be entered on Nonny's Hall of Fame!
4) Use the same fake name each time so we all know who's saying what.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sonic

Does anyone else love Sonic? No, I'm not talking about Sonic the Hedgehog, but who doesn't love that guy, right? Okay, everyone say it with me--"SEGA!!" No, I'm talking about Sonic Drive-Thru.

I used to live in Tulsa, OK, and that is when I was first introduced Sonic. Sonic is unique in that it has covered stalls where you can park your car and order by either talking into a comm system or a live waitress.* It has your usual burgers, fries, and shakes. But, my favorite is their drink menu (this is usually their focus in commercials--more on that below)--see this, this, and this.

Mr. Nonny Nu and I have missed Sonic since moving away from Tulsa. The closest one to us is about 40 miles away. The bear used to get the Coney and a shake. The rabbit used to get a toaster sammich, rings, and a limeade. Okay, lemme tell you guys something about the limeades. THESE THINGS ARE THE BEST THIRST QUENCHERS ON EARTH. Just take a look at these things:

That is the cherry limeade. I don't usually go for cherry flavored stuff, but this is an exception. It's tangy and fresh and flavorful. And, because they use crushed ice, you still get remnants of the drink even after you think you've finished it. THAT'S THE BEST. You know, the time when you are really working to get the last drop out of the drink and your straw is making so much noise. And then, at the end of it all, you let out a satisfied "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh." Yeah, that's the stuff. (Sonic limeade isn't real limeade, though. If you are interested in limeade, I suggest Simply Limeade, a staple at the Nu household.) This stuff is so good that I used to neglect my food. Once you start drinking this, you will never want to stop. I looked like a hummingbird drinking a Big Gulp. I always ordered the Route 44 size.**

Now, lately, I've been seeing some really funny Sonic commercials on TV. There's a really cute set with a man and a lady, and I love when they make that "punch" sound at the end! Usually, I don't like the "smart woman, dumb man" commercials, but these ones are funny. Here's a transcript of one (there are funnier ones but I can't find them):

Man: Eating the Tuscan Grilled Chicken Sandwich makes me want to go to Italy with you.

Woman: Awww.

Man: I think we could rent some bikes and ride through the countryside, your beautiful blond hair flowing in the wind.

Woman: (brown hair...)

Man: I'd stare into your piercing blue eyes.

Woman: (Frustrated sigh)

Man: (Turns to look at woman)

Woman: Hi.

Man: Hey....what are you doing here?
HA! But, did you know that these two people are improvisers? I didn't. They are funny. But, there are another set of improvisers (two guys) for Sonic who seem to be getting some critical acclaim in the ad world (click on the video link on the left and you'll see two commercials).




* I have always wondered whether I was supposed to tip the waitress. I'm not alone. (Here's a site if your eyes can't take all those flashing lights.) I only tipped when the waitress was on skates or, if she wasn't, when she was really supercool.

** You read that right. It's called the Route 44 size because there are 44 ounces. If you are lucky enough to be near a Sonic, you must order the Route 44 size cherry limeade. It's huge, but you won't regret it. Again, I am not alone.

4 comments:

Man from U.N.C.L.E. said...

Is the Route 44 size drink what Monkey Pig uses to stretch her erroneously self-labelled "Huge bladder"?

*grumbles* Yeah, I'm still miffed about the Marathon time and the points I missed out on that, because of the infinite bathroom breaks needed. *grumbles*

Nonny Nu said...

Yes, it's unfortunate that the person who won the guess can't use the points. But, yes, I witnessed MonkeyPig's selection of the Route 44 size the last time I visited her in El Paso. She claimed that her selection was based upon economy (she likes to buy in bulk), I could see in her eyes that she was using it to train her bladder.

MonkeyPig said...

There is such a thing as a refridgerator and a freezer to help those of us with strong believes in "bulking". My mother and I, 2 people, had one large refridgerator and one freezer. Nothing in there is less than 6 months old. The amount of left over in my fridge/freezer would last me until retirement. To augment the "bulking phenomena", one could eat whatever "bulk" with white rice to make it last longer.
Yes, the Route 44 is the best value. What is better is to tell the 16 year old pimple-face Sonic person "no ice, please".

Nonny Nu said...

Oh! I forgot the no-ice trick. But, limeade is not quite the same without the ice. The crushed ice is what makes it extra good!!